Fabrice Cambolive, Renault S.A.: Siberia is very important for usBack to list
Few years ago Renault S. A. gave credence to Russian market and placed its bets on development in our country at the global level. Thus, besides active expansion of its own manufacturing in Russia, Renault S. A. together with Nissan Motor Company Ltd. purchased control stock of AvtoVAZ JSC, thereby confirming its market ambitions and leadership in Russia. Summarizing the results of 2011 in Siberia, Renault S. A. keeps 5th line in the rating of sales. Fabrice Cambolive, chief commercial officer of Renault S. A. in Russia and Eurasia region told Alexander Mesarkishvily about his impressions of the level of development of Novosibirsk auto business, about Renault S. A. plans on expansion of dealers network in Siberia and about problems of deficiency of cars.
- Fabrice, is it the first time you visiting Novosibirsk? What was the impression of the city from the point of development of auto business?
- Yes, it’s my first visit. First of all, the attention was drawn by the orientation of the city on high technology. I think, such “scientific character” will do its job, and Novosibirsk market will develop at higher speed, than on average in Russia.
- What are the plans of Renault S. A. of development in Siberian region?
- It is important for us to be presented both in the capital and in regions of Russia. Siberia is very important for us in such a way, because we have really great potential of development in the region, especially taking into account the fact, that we manufacture cars of high quality at a low price. We hope that we can earn customers, who drive used right-hand cars from Japan.
- Not such a long time ago Renault S. A. signed protocol of intentions with MAX Motors about the opening of the second automobile sales center in Novosibirsk. Actually, when will the second dealer of Renault S. A. open in the capital of Siberia? Will the sales be carried out in full-fledged sales center or in temporary one? What do you expect from the new dealer?
- The thing is, that in the cities with population over one million people it is important for us to have more than one partner. This is done not for creation of competition between them, but in order to be geographically closer to our customers. And as it follows from the protocol, “MAX Motors” will in fact be working since the end of summer under Renault S. A. brand in Novosibirsk. Sales will be implemented in temporary way, at the same time the construction of the full-fledged sales center will begin. The date of opening this sales center will depend mainly on terms of accommodation and other moments. But we consider opening the sales center by the end of summer 2013.
- This year KIA Motors opens its third dealer in Novosibirsk. Do you have any similar plans in medium-term perspective?
- Perhaps, in our case it is a bit early to speak about the third sales center, while the second one is still not opened and the first one barely started working. We need to give some time to the dealers to work. If we consider, that the third dealer is necessary for us, we will open it, but it is a little bit early to speak about it.
- What are your plans on sales in Novosibirsk taking into account opening of the second sales center?
- In accordance with the policy of our company we do not comment our sales plans.
- Considering the fact, that Renault S. A. manufactures quite inexpensive models, are there any intentions to open sales centers in small cities of Siberia, taking into account, that all major cities are covered with dealers network?
- Of course, the major goal of Renault S. A. is the presence in major cities, because there is a potential of development in it. As for Siberia, our strategy provides opening of sales centers in the cities with fewer inhabitants. Meanwhile, such sales centers will open our present partners, i.e. we are going to rely on our present dealers network. It is profitable both for us, and our partners.
- How do you estimate the results of 1st quarter of 2012 for Renault S. A. in Russia? Did you manage to achieve desirable results? What are the plans for 2012?
- Perhaps, at the present moment we should better talk about results of four months work. Of course, we are satisfied with it, because we sold more than 57 000 of cars in Russia. Pace of sales growth of Renault S. A. in Russia is higher than the average index of the market in total. And we are very pleased with winning the 1st prize in sales among foreign manufacturers. But our main source of satisfaction is the launch of Renault Duster and really very high results, which was demonstrated by this model.
- Does Renault S. A. have any shortage of cars and are there enough quota on popular models for regional dealers?
- It is important to understand, why do such terms of awaiting appear in the first place? First of all, our models are popular, for example, Renault Duster. Secondly, it depends on the means of our manufacture and the problems, which we are setting to them. In my opinion, it is better to manufacture good and qualitative cars, than to manufacture just a huge amount of cars. That’s why, there is nothing to be upset of for our customers, and we are working on productivity increase of our Russian factory